Rhubarb is in the height of it’s season and with rhubarb crumble being a firm favourite, I thought I’d put together a fussy foodie friendly version. It’s really simple to make and once done, can be left to cook in the oven for 40 minutes whilst you bask in the early summer sun.
For my crumble, I also made use of some plums which have been in my fruit bowl and were in need of eating. You too could adapt this recipe to suit your tastes, either by leaving the plums out or using a range of alternatives including apples, raspberries, apricots, peaches, nectarines as well as dried fruits including raisins, apricots, cranberries, dates.
Rhubarb & Plum Crumble Ingredients:
For the fruit:
- 4 stems of rhubarb
- 4 plums
- Juice of 1 orange
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- Squeeze of agave nectar
- 3oz rice flour
- 3oz oats
- Handful of seeds and nuts (I used pumpkin seeds, almonds, pecans and ground flaxseeds)
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Splash of rice milk
Rhubarb & Plum Crumble Recipe:
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees, gas mark 4
- Wash and trim both the rhubarb and plums and cut into chunks
- Place on a baking tray with the juice of 1 orange, sprinkle with ground ginger and drizzle with agave nectar
- Bake in the oven for approximately 10 – 15 minutes or until the fruit softens
- Remove from the oven and place to one side
- Meanwhile, place all the dry ingredients (rice flour, oats, nuts & seeds, cinnamon) into a food processor and blitz for a couple of minutes until the mixture becomes like breadcrumbs
- With the food processor still on, slowly add a splash of rice milk until the mixture thickens slightly and resembles the normal crumble consistency. Be careful not to add too much otherwise it will become gloopy and cakey.
- Transfer the fruit mixture to an overproof dish. Then place the crumble mixture on top, pressing down firmly.
- Place in the oven for approxiately 40 minutes, until the surface of the crumble mixture turns light golden brown.
- Remove from the oven. Leave to cool slightly and serve.
And there you have it! Plum & Rhubarb Crumble, done.